Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Monday, December 22, 2008
I cut some wide enough to make it double to have the ruffle have a soft feel to it. Using the ruffle foot, I gather some of it to the waist size, and then I sewed it to the bottom seam of the bodice, before joining the skirt.
Now, with both bodice and skirt joined, it was time to sew the zipper. Using a traditional zipper in beige [flesh tone] I sewed it using the prickstitch, changing the color of the thread as I was sewing the different fabrics; i.e. green for the charmeuse, beige for the organza.
I totally forgot about the little bow I made, I think it would give a final touch to the zipper.
I also wish all a happy and safe Holidays. A New Year fill with much joy and prosperity.
I took a brake from the “VALENTINO” dress. Looking at the pics I notice a little ruffle on the seam that joins the Bodice and the skirt together, I was not sure about it. I look and look at the pic to have a clearer idea of what it really was, not sure, I decided to leave it aside and do something else.
Well, I thought, let me try a Burda World of Fashion pattern. I had a Cotton Twill that would be great for the dress feature on the April 2008 magazine.
I still have to make the strings for the closure. The twill is too heavy for it; I will need to find a piece of fabric that would complement the blue twill to make them.
Thursday, December 18, 2008
I sewed a piece of the bias tubes right side out, leaving the seam allowance free [I use the fold on the inside while it was being sewn, this way I could make sure the tube would measurement would be the accurate]. This seam allowance would be hidden with the bias tube itself when folded over.
Leaving the seam allowance showing at the right side of the garment trim some off, the bias trim is then folded up and tailors baste.
With bottom yoke piece hanging free, I was read to pin and baste the bias tubes in place.
So far, I like the way is coming out.
Sunday, December 14, 2008
Taking a closer look at the pic, it is apparent that the body of the sleeves was made on silk organza, [look at the closer pic of the dress], the bust dart was change to make 3 smaller darts
The bodice was cut in green charmeuse, sleeves and bodice were pin, put on the mannequin to see and make any corrections if need it.
The white organza is not the right one for this. I need something in a flesh tone. I dipped a piece in tea to see if that would work [an old trick use to dye lace and silks]. The tea was too light; I dipped another piece in coffee. I was please with the color, so I went ahead and dye the fabric.
Here is a pic of the bodice on the mannequin. The sleeves and lining are sewn. I baste the lining a fashion fabric together.
Now it is ready to be sewn to the lower part of the bodice
Thursday, December 11, 2008
With muslin on the dress form, and looking at the pic of the “V” dress, I drew the new lines on the neckline and sleeves. I also make the midriff yoke
Let’s see how it goes…….
Tuesday, December 9, 2008
I had made this blouse in September for a, she liked it so, that went and got more fabrics to get 2 more made.
The first one [I wish I had taken a pic of it] was made on silk burnout chiffon in light pink, purple and beige.
I use tissue paper under the fabric to cut it. Cutting chiffon [and all slippery fabric] this way makes it a lot easier to control it and not have it run all over the place. I fond a roll of tissue paper at my local supplier that I use for projects where I’m using light slippery fabrics, especially silks. I tell you having a full roll of paper is a great help, if you can find one get it.
I had to play with the layout of the pattern some what, on this pic you could see how I over lap the pattern pieces for the under blouse [lining].
You could see on these pics, how well this looks when it is pressed. I had to admit that it does work better on silk. The first blouse had silk georgette as lining. The finish with the roll hem
Monday, December 1, 2008
The Roman Empire Dress
The fist one was a dress I made while Studying at F.I.T. in NYC.
The dress was for a project base on drapes and soft fabrics. I use silk georgette and guipure lace.
The lace was beaded with white and iridescent sequins and beagle beads. I was inspired by the Roman Empire and its drape ropes. I wanted the lace to give a nude illusion, and the skirt wrapped, draped and weaves through the lace.
The weave would wrape over the shoulder ending with a fold. The dress had a ditachable train of the same georgette that would be attache under the fold of the fabric at the back.
This dress was great success when I open my business in NY; I made several versions of it. One was a dress for an engagement party made in Mint green. That version was strapless with the drape going over the shoulder.
Another was made in light peach with short sleeves. The sleeves were the traditional Filipino’s sleeves.
I made 2 patterns from this dress. One was for a dress in white silk organza. The bodice was made with the scale ruffles. The Empire line was covered with a hand beaded trim [I made this trim on silk organza with silver, white and iridescent beads].