Monday, December 1, 2008

Going Back in Time

I hope you enjoy these pics. I had being taking pics of dresses that I still have from my NYC years.


The Roman Empire Dress


The fist one was a dress I made while Studying at F.I.T. in NYC.
The dress was for a project base on drapes and soft fabrics. I use silk georgette and guipure lace.




















The lace was beaded with white and iridescent sequins and beagle beads. I was inspired by the Roman Empire and its drape ropes. I wanted the lace to give a nude illusion, and the skirt wrapped, draped and weaves through the lace.














The weave would wrape over the shoulder ending with a fold. The dress had a ditachable train of the same georgette that would be attache under the fold of the fabric at the back.



This dress was great success when I open my business in NY; I made several versions of it. One was a dress for an engagement party made in Mint green. That version was strapless with the drape going over the shoulder.



Another was made in light peach with short sleeves. The sleeves were the traditional Filipino’s sleeves.
















The Empire Dress
I love going to second hand stores and looking what's there. There is always a piece; a dress, suit, fabric or workmanship that always inspires me. New York had [in my opinion] the best second hand stores. I don't remember how many dress I got from the Salvation Army's store in Manhattan. One of these dresses was a short black silk taffeta empire dress. The dress had a 60’s feel to it. The bodice had the empire cut with velvet ribbon that went around ending on a bow at the center front, with scale ruffles covering the entire bodice and sleeves.
I made 2 patterns from this dress. One was for a dress in white silk organza. The bodice was made with the scale ruffles. The Empire line was covered with a hand beaded trim [I made this trim on silk organza with silver, white and iridescent beads].

This is the other design that I made from the black taffeta dress. The dress is made from white silk duchess satin, with white velvet ribbon [the bow is on the back].
I made the bodice out of silk organza that I had beaded in white, iridescent beads with clear, white and silver sea beads. I use pink thread for the clear sea beads to give some color to the flowers.
I really love this dress; it really was, for me, a labor of love!!!

1 comment:

Cindy said...

It's exquisite! I'm a transplant from So. Fl. Pembroke Pines to be exact. Moved to this hell hole called the redneck riviera a year and half ago. I miss Miami.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails